Lactanet Canada believes in protecting the privacy of the personal information that it obtains for business purposes about its clients and values the trust that is placed on Lactanet Canada to responsibly manage the personal information that it obtains.
1. Lactanet Canada only collects and uses a client’s personal information (such as an individuals’ name, address, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address or herd identification numbers) with client’s knowledge and consent, except in limited and specific circumstances, and as permitted by law. For example, Lactanet Canada reserves the right to collect, use or disclose any information as needed to satisfy any law, regulation or legal responsibility, or order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other government tribunal, or to protect the rights, privacy safety or property of others; or where the information is public.
2. Lactanet Canada will seek to use information that is as accurate as possible. Generally, Lactanet Canada only collects personal information that is directly supplied by the client. In such cases, Lactanet Canada will take care to enter client’s data correctly, but will not typically make any further effort to verity its accuracy or update it.
3. Lactanet Canada will only collect and use a client’s personally identifiable information necessary for an identifiable purpose. Lactanet Canada will limit how it uses or discloses a client’s personal information. Examples of such purposes include, but are not limited to, managing and improving DairyTrace services or communication tools (mobile application and website), dispensing a chosen service as specified (for example, mobile application performance), statistics (without individual related data), to contact DairyTrace stakeholders, or providing information or promotional offers (if client has consented to receive such information or offers).
4. If a client chooses not to provide Lactanet Canada with such information, this may sometimes affect a client’s ability to participate in activities on, or the sending of messages through, some of Lactanet’s websites or portals.
5. A client’s information may be shared with agents or contractors of Lactanet Canada or other third parties (collectively “third parties”) only in connection with services that these individuals or entities perform for Lactanet Canada. Otherwise, Lactanet Canada will not disclose the client’s personally identifiable information to others without the client’s consent, except as otherwise noted in section 1 above. Examples of where such information may be shared include, but are not limited to, with the Canadian Cattle Identification Agency (the animal traceability organization for non-dairy cattle outside of Quebec), with Agri-Traçabilité Québec (the animal traceability organization for non-dairy cattle in Quebec and with Holstein Canada (for the purposes of offering tag sales and distribution services as well as DairyTrace customer services in provinces outside of Quebec).
6. Clients should be aware that certain non-personal information and data may be automatically collected Lactanet Canada through the operation of what are called “cookies” or other similar files. “Cookies” are small text files that identify an individual computer’s browser entering a web site. The type of non-personal information that may be collected may be the type of Internet browser or computer operating system the user is using and the domain name of the website from which the user linked to Lactanet Canada’s website. Cookies allow Lactanet Canada to tailor a website or promotion to better match a client’s interests or preferences. Most Internet browsers enable a client to erase cookies from a computer hard drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. No other site can read a cookie used by Lactanet Canada, and Lactanet Canada cannot read a cookie that another website wrote to a client’s computer. A client should refer to the client’s browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions. Lactanet Canada does not collect personally identifiable information automatically, but Lactanet Canada may tie information collected automatically to a client’s previously submitted personally identifiable information.
7. A client should be aware that Lactanet Canada reserves the right to perform statistical analyses of client behaviour and characteristics, in order to measure interest in and use of the various sections of its websites so as to improve design and navigation. Only aggregated data from these analyses and not individual data will be used for this purpose.
8. Lactanet Canada collects some information about visitors to its websites indirectly through standard web logs, including IP address and browser. Lactanet Canada uses this information only to administer and improve its websites. Some data may be traceable to an individual, but Lactanet Canada does not seek to identify individuals unless Lactanet suspects improper use of the website.
Access to Personal Information
10.Lactanet will be open about its privacy policies and practices. A client has a right to access their personal information and to verify their personal information to ensure that it is accurate or to rectify any omissions. For clients to access their personal information, an access request must be made in writing and must be delivered to the Privacy Manager as follows:
Private and Confidential, Privacy Manager
660 Speedvale Avenue West, Suite 101
Guelph, Ontario, Canada